How to Avoid Winter-Related Water Woes
Winter is just around the corner in Calgary, and the cold season here is definitely not for the faint of heart. As the last leaves fall to the ground, year after year, local residents begin to prepare their homes, vehicles and yards for the harsh months ahead.
Don’t Get Left in the Cold
Based in Calgary, our team at Alberta Water Services is well aware of the strain Mother Nature can put on local wells during the winter. Farmers and rural residents who aren’t connected to the city’s water supply should take special care of their well in the fall to ensure a reliable source of drinking water throughout the cold season.
Don’t get caught off guard—find out now what you can do to avoid compromising your clean water supply, and when it’s time to call the pros.
Better Safe than Thirsty
Even the smallest issue with your well can become a huge headache once the ground freezes. When it comes to your family’s supply of clean drinking water, it’s a good idea to play it safe—especially during a harsh Calgary winter when accidents are quick to happen.
- Before the first frost, inspect your system for any problems, and call a specialist without delay at the first sign of trouble.
- If a sudden issue arises with your well that deprives your home of potable running water in the dead of winter, help may take a while to arrive. Plan for the worst by keeping a supply of fresh water in your home at all times. At Alberta Water Services, we offer various portable water solutions that can be tailored to your household’s needs—give us a call to find out more about this reassuring service.
- Health Canada recommends that well owners have their cistern or holding tank professionally cleaned at least once a year. Put your mind at ease all winter long by having one of our experts analyze and sanitize your drinking water before the cold hits.
Alberta Water Services is Here to Help
No matter how prepared you are, a sudden problem with your well could still occur at any time over the winter. If your well seems sluggish or stops altogether, there are a few things we can do:
- Alberta Water Services is a member of the Alberta Water Well Drilling Association, meaning that we have all the necessary tools and qualifications to jump-start (or ‘shock’) your well—a process that usually restores normal function to the system.
- Another option is to fill the well with water from an outside source. Also known as flooding, this procedure helps unclog any blockage that could be the source of the problem. We perform this task using drinking water from Calgary’s municipal supply—known as being among the best in Canada in terms of quality.
When it comes to preventing and solving winter-related problems with your well, call the experts at Alberta Water Services. We believe that no other company in Calgary is better suited to taking care of your family’s precious drinking water.